What is Brainjo?
Founded by Dr. Josh Turknett, Brainjo is dedicated to developing human potential through applied neuroscience – to use what we’ve learned about the brain to release the extraordinary intelligence in every brain, young and old.
What is The Brainjo Method?
The Brainjo Method is a system of instruction that integrates the science of neuroplasticity to optimize the learning process, and has been used to to teach thousands with no prior experience how to play music.
All courses in the Brainjo Academy use this method.
What is The Brainjo Academy?
The aim of the Brainjo Academy is to provide neuroscience-based resources for developing and realizing the extraordinary potential inside every brain.
We have two primary means by which we can achieve that objective. They are:
- By learning new things (upgrading the brain’s software).
- By improving the physical health of the brain (upgrading the brain’s hardware).
Because the needs of the brain changes during and after its maturation process, the resources provided are specifically tailored for developing (“fresh”) and mature (“seasoned”) brains.
About Dr. Turknett
Dr. Turknett is a neurologist, bestselling author, and sought after expert and speaker on brain health, learning, cognitive development and neuroplasticity.
He is the founder of Brainjo, and creator of the Brainjo Method of instruction.
To learn more about Dr. Turknett, visit jturk.net.
Core Brainjo Principles
- Success in learning anything is determined by the learning process, not by innate ability or aptitude.
- Genius is not a property of extraordinary brains, but of “ordinary” brains placed under the right conditions.
- Because of its powerful and wide reaching impact on the developing brain, music, the arts, and creative play should be the foundation of a child’s education.
- Teaching children how to learn should be a primary objective of their education.
- Developing uniquely human capacities – creativity, connection, and communication – is the best way to prepare children for success in the emerging future, as these will be (and already are!) the most highly valued skills.
- Developing and optimizing human intelligence requires carefully attending to the physical health of the brain.
- Human cognitive and intellectual function is currently compromised, and shackled, in multiple ways, and removing those shackles is the most effective means of enhancing cognitive function and performance.
- Learning new things is one of the best ways to improve the health of the brain.
- For the adult brain, music and the arts (visual, dance, writing) are the best “brain-training” activities for improving cognitive function and protecting against cognitive decline and dementia (e.g. Alzheimer’s).
Want to dig deeper into the story and mission of Brainjo? Here are some ways to do so:
The Intelligence Unshackled Podcast.
Hosted by Dr. Turknett, with frequent appearances by Dr. Tommy Wood, the Intelligence Unshackled podcast explores how to optimize the health and function of the brain.
The Laws of Brainjo Article Series.
An article series several years in the running, The “Laws of Brainjo” explores the theoretical foundations of learning and neuroplasticity that are incorporated into The Brainjo Method.
“How To Support Childhood Cognitive Development” – Interview for The Nourish Balance Thrive Podcast.
In this episode of the Nourish Balance Thrive podcast, Dr. Turknett is interviewed about how to support the intellectual and cognitive development of our children.
“Boosting Musical Brainpower” – Interview for Musicality Now
A wide ranging interview on the intersection of neuroscience and music, including many of the principles integrated into the Brainjo Method of instruction.
“How To Learn Music Faster” – Interview for The Becoming Superhuman Podcast.
In this episode of the “Becoming Superhuman,” host Johnathan Levi interviews Dr. Turknett about optimizing the musical learning process.
“Roswell Musician Harnesses Clients’ Brainpower” – Interview in The Atlanta Business Chronicle
Interview with Dr. Turknett about improving learning and cognitive performance in the workplace.
The Extraordinary Capacity of the ‘Ordinary’ Human Brain – Talk for DisruptHR
Talk for the “Disrupt HR” conference on the extraordinary potential inside every brain.
The Brainjo Origin Story – Interview in the Banjo Newsletter
Interview in the Banjo Newsletter about the origin story of Brainjo